Air Conditioning Resources, FAQs, and Helpful Tips
December 17, 2023
- How can I even out the heating and cooling of my home to get more to either the upstairs or downstairs? Adjust the registers on the wall or floor in the room where too much heat/cooling is present so that the registers are partially closed. For example, to get more heat upstairs during the winter, partially or fully close the registers downstairs to force more airflow to the registers upstairs.Another possible solution is a furnace equipped with a variable speed blower motor. These furnaces are designed to overcome airflow problems in a home, thus keeping the airflow steady throughout the entire house. These types of furnaces can also save considerable amounts of money in operating costs.Request an estimate on a new, cost-effective cooling system.
- How can I make sure that my HVAC system is safe to operate? Always have your system checked annually to make sure that the unit is safe. In many cases, tiny cracks or perforations in the heat exchanger occur. If your furnace is burning inefficiently or incompletely, carbon monoxide can escape and fill the house causing serious health problems and/or death to those inside.
- Should I cover my outdoor air conditioning unit during the winter? You should at least cover the top of the condensing unit so no debris can get in (people usually do this with a piece of plywood and something to hold it down). This will also help to protect against damage from falling ice and rodents from entering your unit. Any cover, however, must be removed before the start of operations the following Spring..
- Can I turn off the power to my central air conditioning system during the months? Yes. There should be a disconnect in your panel box or at the outside unit. By turning it off over the winter, you will save energy. However, when you turn it on again in the spring or summer, do it at least 24 hours before turning on the cooling unit. Doing this will give the oil time to warm and lubricate the essential parts upon startup.download film Steve Jobs now
- How does an air conditioning system actually work to cool the air in my home? An air conditioning system consists of 2 parts: an outdoor unit (where liquid refrigerant is contained) and an indoor coil (where the refrigerant is pumped into). As the air moves across the air conditioning coil, the refrigerant removes the heat and moisture from the air by condensing it on the cold surface of the coil. Thus, an air conditioner not only cools, but also dehumidifies, the air.
Last Updated: December 17, 2023